Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Kids Tug The Darndest Strings

Two Saturdays ago I had the privilege of checking out Mr Miyagi's gymnastics for disabled children, for a story I was writing for the papers.

I didn't quite know what to expect, and honestly thought it might be a little more than stressful to observe autistic children freaking out with freedom ("fun" for them, stress for the teachers and parents).

What I saw instead were 7 brilliantly happy kids and 7 parents who were having (suspiciously MORE) fun than their kids I think!

I've been writing a column on disabled children for a while now, and it's just opened up an amazing world for me. It is so humbling to meet parents who have more courage than I could ever summon, and so joyful to meet special needs children who are thriving on the love of their mothers (mostly mothers, apart from Papa Extraordinaire Mr Brown ).

To get a high five from a little girl whose hands are webbed due to Apert Syndrome, to get a cookie from an autistic boy ... these moments make my heart soar with joy and my eyes fill with tears. I've been writing a long time, but this is the best job I've ever had the honour to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home