Friday, August 05, 2005

Bloggers On The Isle of Wankin

I don't know about you but I'm tired of all this Press Vs Bloggers rubbish that's filled both column inches as well as precious bandwidth.

The Press will always keep Bloggers at arm's length because they will always be a little scared of the unfamiliar.

The Bloggers will always hantam the Press because that's what intelligent people with opinions are wont to do.

And then there will always be a symbiotic relationship as both media get story ideas from each other. I find myself now buying the Straits Times every day to see what I can comment on! So they got a new customer (previously I only bothered to read what scraps were lying around at Coffee Bean/McDonald's/my husband's briefcase).

Okay, so topic over, let's talk about something else: Are Bloggers Winkers (I cannot say the word because it's against my religion but I didn't have a better word)

In my opinion all writers are Winkers. We like to show off and we like people to laugh at our jokes or cry at our turns of phrases. Come on, you know it's true. I admit, I love it when people read My Special Child (every alternate Wednesday in Mind Your Body) and feel like breaking open their piggy banks and giving all their money to the poor kid and mom.

Is being a Winker necessarily bad? I don't think so. We only call it Winking because we don't have a POSITIVE term for it. When someone is given a talent, the worst thing for that person to do is bury it. He will be frustrated and the world won't be benefit from it. Can you imagine if Oscar Wilde decided it was immodest to quip as incessantly as he did?

Neither can I. Who else could have said the immortal words: "Either this wallpaper goes or I do"?

So Bloggers should Wink away. So should journalists, if they're gifted (not all are, as not all Bloggers are). But everyone has a right to express themselves. If you don't like what you read, just don't go back to the page. It's not like it's being SMS'd to you every minute.

Okay so we're all good? Good.

2 Comments:

Blogger laur said...

that's an excellent post! Blogging, news reporting - what an endless cycle. Just to drop a note to say I've been checking out all your 3 journals, (loving 'em) and it's great to have someone with so many sides of her adding something spirit filled, praiseworthy, God glorifying (and shoe obsessive, you mean i'm not the only one!) to the blogosphere. :)

2:01 AM

 
Blogger Cowboy Caleb said...

Totally fresh and interesting perspective.

You might want to add that bloggers do not have editors and therefore are more agile in positive and negative ways.

11:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home